As a writer, you need to note all the sources of information that you have used in your papers, presentations, or any other projects. The purpose of citations and documentation is to credit the writer and publisher for their own work and to enable your followers to consult the original document. You acknowledge where your argument comes from through the right use of your citations and sources. Even if you know how to paraphrase a paragraph to avoid plagiarism, you need to document the source.
Why Learning Citation Rules to Avoid Plagiarism
Quotes & paraphrasing are different from a citation. A citation is a technique of telling your readers that part of your document come from another source. This gives your readers the chance to access that source and read further or confirm your arguments.
A citation offers:
- Information about the writer
- The title of the document
- The name and place of the organization that published the source document
- The date the document was produced
- The page number of the material you have borrowed
There are situations that require you to acknowledge the source even if you used your own words to write the document:
- Whenever you paraphrase.
- Use quotes.
- Make specific reference to the project of another.
- Use an argument that someone else has already used.
- Whenever someone else’s material has been vital in developing your project.
Importance of Using Correct Citation
Quality writing requires proper citation of sources – this might seem obvious – and yet there are situations when this is not followed.
So, what is the significance of using citations?
- Acts as a fact-checking tool – accuracy is important in all writing, especially when writing academic papers. The act of citing a reference gives more weight to your material.
- Citation makes you a great researcher – some of the qualities of a great researcher is the ability to understand patterns and pay attention to details. Good citations can help with both.
- Citation makes you a better writer – there are many peculiarities about writing and one of them is being able to cite your sources. Citing some great sources removes the notion of laziness.
- Citation enables verification of your work – plagiarism and academic citation go hand-in-hand. You remove the element of plagiarism when you reference your academic work.
7 Common Citation Rules to Avoid Plagiarism
Paraphrasing citation APA or paraphrasing citation MLA all follow some common citation rules.
There are 7 citation rules to avoid plagiarism which we will discuss below:
- Acknowledge all the material you have used when writing your essay or project – this will leave a trail of the source document for yourself, your reader, and other researchers.
- Acknowledge all sources in two ways – in text citation for paraphrasing and list all the sources at the end of your document.
- You can quote the source document exactly or simply paraphrase or summarize it – remember to use quotation marks if you quote the document.
- Reserve direct quotation for sentences or works that you wish to preserve – maybe it is from a respectable source.
- All sources can be cited, even class lecture, a telephone conversation, or handout.
- Identify the style you want to use and use it throughout your paper – APA, MLA, or Chicago are just of the common citation suggestions to avoid plagiarism.
- Include the exact details which are offered with the source – this applies even if an older or electronic source does not offer all the details you require to document it fully.
About Our Paraphrasing Team
Paraphrasing is the act of rewriting a document in your own words while retaining the original message. Simply said, it is expressing the same message in different terms in order to own it. This often makes many individuals ask, “Does paraphrasing require citation?” Proper citation is required to ensure that your paper is free of plagiarism.
Reputable paraphrasing organizations offer amazing rewrite and paraphrasing services through the highly trained and experienced writers who rewrite your document in the best possible way. They write your paper and ensure it is well cited, formatted, and presented.
When choosing a firm to help you write your paper, ensure:
- They give you a 100 percent, well referenced, and formatted paper
- They deliver on time
- They offer unlimited number of revisions
- They offer you regular updates
- They guarantee your confidentiality and privacy
Whether you choose APA citation paraphrasing or any other form of citation, you work will still be considered original. Citation actually helps the readers to distinguish your arguments from those of other writers. This actually enhances the originality of your document.