Paraphrasing is the process in which a person uses another person work and completely forms a new version without altering the message and the idea in the original material. Many individuals still find it hard to paraphrase mainly because this is a daunting task which calls for expertise. It is vital that you understand the most important writing process on how to paraphrase a paragraph or rewrite an essay so as to submit a top quality document. Before you paraphrase, learn about citation rules to avoid plagiarism and read the original paper; it is critical to understand these two aspects.
Quotes & paraphrasing are two different things.
To differentiate them, you need to know these facts about paraphrasing:
- Paraphrasing is just like rewording a sentence; it is restating someone else’s work in your own words.
- As opposed to a summary, a paraphrase features both the main and supporting thoughts of the source.
- The main purpose of a paraphrase is to articulate someone else’s ideas more simply and more clearly – to translate what may not be understood when in original form.
A paraphrase might be shorter, equal, or longer than the original document. A good paraphrase should satisfy three criteria: should be clear, brief, and easy to comprehend, should communicate the idea of the original document, and should not contain any idea not found in the source document.
Importance of Paraphrasing
Why waste your time paraphrasing?
There are three main reasons why you should paraphrase something:
- To help you communicate the idea in the original document more clearly to the reader.
- To help you understand something you have read better.
- To clarify a long passage that could be unclear or that is vital for you to include in your document. This is especially true when paraphrasing in academic writing.
Best Ways on How to Paraphrase a Paragraph to Avoid Plagiarism
The best way to paraphrase is to use as few terms as possible from the source document – be careful not to alter the meaning that you want to convey as you reword – and to cite your paper. Your work might be considered as plagiarized if you do not cite it, even if you use synonyms.
Here are six steps of rewriting a sentence correctly.
- Reread the source document until you understand its meaning – the idea it wants to convey.
- Set the source document aside and note what you have understood on a note card.
- Write down a few sentences below your note to remind you how you wish to use this material. At the top of your card, jot a phrase or keyword to show the subject of your paraphrase.
- Check your work with the source document to ensure that your version accurately shows all the necessary information in a clear form.
- Use quotation marks to show any unique phraseology or term you have borrowed exactly from the original document.
- Record the source (include the page) on your card so that you can reference it easily if you want to add the material to your final document. Ensure that you use the proper referencing style such as the APA style.
Helpful Tips for Good Paraphrasing
Here are a few tips for good paraphrasing that will also teach you how to paraphrase an academic paper.
- Paraphrase only passages or just parts of passages that are important to your work.
- Put the original ideas into your unique words – use your own word order and style.
- Be true to the idea or meaning of the original document.
- Do not add anything which is not found in the primary document when writing you paraphrase.
- Quote only when there is no alternative – otherwise, do not quote anything.
- Use tags to remind your reader that you are paraphrasing.
- Go through your final document to ensure that you have not copied the constructions of a sentence or words.
As a scholar or writer, the best advice I can give you is to learn how to paraphrase a paragraph to avoid plagiarism. Paraphrasing is a great skill because it is better than quoting data or information from the original document. It helps the writer to shun the temptation of quoting excessively. This manner of expression helps you to learn the full meaning of the source document without having to cram it.
The best answer of “how to avoid plagiarism in academic writing” or any other writing is to paraphrase the source document. Make sure that you seek professional help in order to submit a plagiarism-free paper when doing your academic projects. It is the best way to get good grades.